Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Should OWS lead the overthrow of the U.S. support of Israeli crimes?

On January 26, 2012, I wrote a post entitled "Why OWS Should Lead the "No Iran War!" Resistance". It is the most viewed post I ever wrote.

It came at a time of very strong grass roots resistance to move by the U.S. government to justify an attack on Iran. That resistance culminated in "No Iran War" demonstrations around the country on February 4, 2012.

In my post about the Occupy movement, I pointed out that standing against U.S. aggression toward Iran was a position that not many people wanted to take, and that luckily a movement had arisen consisting of people who were willing to go beyond the conventional wisdom and were not afraid to take unpopular positions. For me, it boiled down to the "courage to think different."

Today, when people in Gaza are once again being slaughtered by an Israeli state that operates with the full backing and material support of the U.S. government, who has the "courage to think different"?

Should OWS lead the overthrow of the U.S. support of Israeli crimes?


Related posts

If the Occupy movement has taught me one thing, it is that every time I hear some person or group of people being described as "different," I should stop and think. And think again. Would it really be possible for U.S. leaders to be talking about war with Iran if people here stopped to think about how different people there aren't?

(See Why OWS Should Lead the "No Iran War!" Resistance)








I wonder if, years from now, we will be thinking back to today and feeling surprise at how little we thought about some of the developments in our world, and in our country, and how we talked about them even less. Someday will I have to explain to my kids, or to my kids' kids, why it was that "people just weren't talking about it" . . . ?

(See Why Weren't People Talking About It? )





The #1 supporter of the terror that Israel is perpetrating in Gaza is the United States. Israel is doing the work set out for it by the U.S. government, against victims for which the U.S. government bears full responsibility, using weapons and money supplied by the U.S. government.

(See USA: Proud Sponsor of T E R R O R in Gaza!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment